Home
Membership
Bicentenary
Bicentenary Events
Kennet
Friends of Kennet
Contacts
Newsletters
Links
Route
Brief History
Chronology
Genealogy
Dimensions/Decoration
Photo Gallery
Archives

 

A Canal Chronology

18th Century

1765 Canal from Leeds to Preston proposed by John Stanhope
1766 Public meeting at Bradford to discuss the scheme
1767 Proposed canal now to run from Leeds to Liverpool
1768 First meeting in Lancashire about the canal
1769 Liverpool promoters suggest that the canal should pass through Burnley and Blackburn, instead of via Whalley
1770 First Leeds and Liverpool Canal Act passed, authorising a line via Skipton, Gargrave, Colne, Whalley, Walton-le-Dale, and Parbold
1773 Canal opened from Bingley to Skipton
1774 Canal opened from Liverpool to Gathurst, and then by Douglas Navigation to Wigan Skipton to Gargrave, and Bradford to Shipley and Bingley also opened
1777 Canal opened from Shipley to Leeds Work on constructing the main line to cease, all available capital having been spent
1780 Canal opened from Gathurst to Wigan
1781 Douglas Navigation closed following the opening of the branch canal from Burscough to Rufford and Sollom Lock
1783 Second Leeds and Liverpool Canal Act passed
1785 Springs Branch at Skipton leased from Lord Thanet
1790 Third Leeds and Liverpool Canal Act passed, authorising the line to be altered to avoid the aqueduct at Whalley Nab
1791 Building of the canal recommences westward from Gargrave
1794 Fourth Leeds and Liverpool Canal Act passed, with new line through East Lancashire
1796 Canal opened to Burnley after Foulridge Tunnel completed
1799 Lancaster Canal opened from Haigh to Wheelton

19th Century

1801 Canal opened from Burnley to Henfield
1805 The Rufford Branch is extended from Sollom Lock to Tarleton
1810 Canal opened from Henfield to Blackburn
1816 Canal completed and opened throughout
1819 Fifth Leeds and Liverpool Canal Act passed, for the construction of the Leigh Branch
1820 Leigh Branch opened
1846 Liverpool Dock Branch opened
1864 Southern section of the Lancaster Canal leased by the Leeds and Liverpool Canal
1878 Bradford Canal purchased by the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, and the Aire and Calder Navigation
1891 Sixth Leeds and Liverpool Canal Act, authorising construction of Winterburn Reservoir
1892 Seventh Leeds and Liverpool Canal Act, altering the rating of the canal

20th Century onwards

1905 Eighth Leeds and Liverpool Canal Act extending time for new reservoirs to be built at Winterburn
1921 Canal Company disposes of it's carrying fleet
1922 Bradford Canal closes
1928 Ninth Leeds and Liverpool Canal Act, altering the tolls
1948 Following nationalisation, canal passes to the Docks and Inland Waterways Executive
1953 British Transport Waterways set up and takes over responsibility for the canal
1960 Regular traffic over the summit level ceases
1963 British Waterways Board formed
1964 The last regular traffic on the main line finishes
1972 Regular trade on the canal ceases when the coal traffic to Wigan Power Station stops
1985 Leeds and Liverpool Canal Corridor Project initiated
2012 British Waterways responsibilities for England and Wales' waterways were transferred to the Canal & River Trust